Why board at AFL Cape York House
- Our boarding staff provide support, care and guidance to students living in small, personalised residential facilities.
- We work on an individualised and tailored approach to each students, education, wellbeing, career and transition needs.
- We offer students a safe and secure ‘home away from home’ living experience, whilst pursuing success in schooling, cultural endeavours, work experience, training and sports.
- We actively involve parents and carers in their child’s boarding and school life. Parents and carers are always welcome to join the students for dinner, and to participate in special events and activities.
- Tutoring and personal mentoring programs are provided to boarders, as well as student leadership programs incorporating volunteer work and community organisations.
- Personal development and academic success is a key aim, with the intent of producing young leaders who will play a active role in their home communities as well as the broader community.
- With the guidance and support of our Boarding staff, our boarders develop life skills that will prepare them for the world beyond school life. Self-discipline, time management, independence, and communication are vital life skills, developed throughout their AFLCY boarding experience.
A Day in the Life of our Boarders
“Home” for our boarders (at AFL Cape York House), is a single (or double) room with bed, study desk, and storage. Students are free to decorate their room and make themselves comfortable in their surroundings. All rooms have a fan, air-conditioning and access to monitored Wi-Fi.
A typical day for our boarders’:
6:15am Wake Up! Get ready for morning fitness (Monday / Wednesday / Friday)
7:30am Breakfast – fruit, yoghurt, cereals, breads, pastries, juice
8:00am Catch bus to school
3:00pm Bus returns boarders to AFLCY House
3:30pm Afternoon tea – fruit, muffins, quiches
4:00pm Free time/extra-curricular activities, i.e. basketball, volleyball, football, swimming at Lagoon/ local waterholes
5:15pm Study and preparation for next school day
6:15pm Dinner – Crumbed fish, lasagna, chicken and mushroom pasta, thai beef noodle stir-fry, mixed salad, steamed vegetables
7:00pm Free time – TV, supervisor activities, reading
9:00pm/10:00pm Supper and bed