The AFL is Australia’s premier sporting organisation supporting a constantly evolving national competition which has experienced rapid growth over the past 10 years. The AFL currently has 650 permanent employees across the four state bodies, AFL Vic, NSW/ACT, QLD, NT and at AFL House. The AFL organisation is responsible for growing and developing Australian Football across Australia.
AFL Cape York provides alternative, safe, secure and inclusive programs to Indigenous youth males and females, from remote communities across the Torres Strait, Cape York Peninsula and Gulf Savannah.
We are looking for:
- Enthusiastic applicants who want to help us support our young people in this program
- Applicants who have previous experience in a similar role
- Passionate applicants who believe in clients focused service
ABOUT THE ROLE
AFL Cape York have an exciting full-time position available for people wanting to pursue a career in the AFL Program Delivery / Community Service industry.
With an enhanced focus on engaging female, multicultural and indigenous communities, this position will:
- Through a targeted approach implement AFL programs to gain maximum participation levels at AFL Auskick, School (in term and holiday) and Talent programs
- Be a positive presence for the AFL brand within a designated “hub” that delivers outcomes to all stakeholders
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and implement participation strategies across the Far North Queensland remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander region through schools, female football, diversity programs and Auskick; this includes (but not limited to); managing consultation with communities, organising logistics of travel and accommodation, resourcing requirements (human and assets) and provide support to the Development staff, to ensure successful delivery of programs.
- Integrate diverse communities into all participation programs
- Oversee AFL community camps in the region
- Produce annual mapping documentation to support planning of key objectives
- Provide quarterly participation reports in line with AFL census requirements
- Assist in the preparation of grant submissions and provide necessary data and information for grant acquittals
- Delivery Level 1 and 2 Coaching Courses to local clubs and training organisations
- Coordinate and/or facilitate school holidays programs
- Staff Recruitment – ensure quality and appropriate level of staff to meet outcomes, predominantly on a casual basis
- Implement regional action plans
- Coaching and motivation of staff with a results driven focus including periodic performance appraisals.
- Resource management – sufficiently resource region to deliver programs and activities professionally
- Facilitate regular staff meetings
- Ensure that regional and talent budgets are achieved
- Ensure that forecast adjustments are communicated early and accurately to the AFL Cape York Finance Department
Community and Talent Programs
- Identify opportunities for growing AFL participation and opportunities within the region
- Attend and present development reports at monthly operational meetings
- Attend club and other stakeholder meetings as required
- Foster links between communities, AFL Cape York and AFL Queensland
- Develop and implement regional strategies
- Manage the delivery of the regional Crusader and talent program at Under 12, 14 & 16 levels
- Manage the talent identification of junior players within the area and support their transition into regional future stars, indigenous and girls youth programs.
- Liaise and support linkages with the AFL Academy Programs via Academy Managers at the Brisbane Lions FC / Gold Coast Suns FC (as appropriate)
OUR IDEAL TEAM MEMBER
- Experience working with volunteers
- Outstanding leadership skills and in particular the ability to lead a team
- Proven strategic planning and implementation capabilities
- Strong business acumen and in particular the ability to manage regional finances
- Knowledge of education and community participation sectors.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication, interpersonal, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to effectively manage a diverse and extensive portfolio of projects concurrently
- Satisfactory “Working with Children” check (Blue Card) from Queensland State Government or ability to obtain
- Due to the nature of the sporting industry must be willing to work outside normal business hours from time to time such as evenings and weekends.
- Queensland Driver’s License
- Formal qualifications in management required along with extensive industry experience – more specifically Sports / Business management qualifications an advantage
- Sound knowledge of AFL or other relevant sporting environment.
- Experience with talented player development programs.
- Good understanding of the Game Development network and programs in Queensland.
- Level Two AFL Coaching Accreditation
The successful candidate will receive the award and entitlements as set out in the National Employment Standards.
This job has the following conditions:
- 6 weeks annual leave (accrued on a pro-rata basis)
- Salary package based on qualifications and experience of the successful applicant.
- Fuel card, mobile phone and laptop for work purposes
Applications for this position will close, Monday, 7 January 2019, 5:00pm (AEST) and must include:
- A cover letter (maximum 2 pages); stating how you fit the “our ideal team member” capabilities (above); and
- An up-to-date resume
For more information on this position or any other opportunities at AFL Cape York, please contact:
T: (07) 4054 5199