Boarding – AFL Cape York House
AFL Cape York House (“the House”) is a not-for-profit organisation, funded under the Federal and State Indigenous Housing Partnership programs and supported by Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, Indigenous Schooling Support, Education Queensland and the Australian Football League.
AFL Cape York Boys and Girls Houses, aim to provide educational, employment and training opportunities for young indigenous men from some of Far North Queensland’s most remote communities in a culturally appropriate, safe and secure residential environment to ensure every boarding student has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Construction of the boys boarding facility was completed in January 2013 with the House welcoming its inaugural students (Indigenous male youth aged between 12 and 18 from remote communities of the Cape York Peninsula, Torres Strait Island and Gulf of Carpentaria), later that month. The House currently accommodates up to 45 boys who attend seven different public and privately funded secondary schools in the Cairns area.
Construction on the girls boarding facility was completed in January 2019. The Girls house opened with 22 enrolments.
“To provide educational, employment and training opportunities for young indigenous people from Far North Queensland’s remote communities in a culturally appropriate, safe and secure residential environment to ensure every young person reaches their full potential.”
Kane Richter – Boarding Manager, AFL Cape York House for Boys (Buchan Street)
Sean Hunter – Boarding Manager, AFL Cape York House for Girls (Redlynch)
Jeda Nash – Enrolments for Boys and Girls Houses
AFL Cape York Boarding believe:
- That young people transition successfully through life with individualised support and learning in education, life experience and wellbeing.
- That our young people are Australia’s future and with support they have an opportunity to shape a better world.
- That parental and community input is paramount to the success of each student’s transition through school.
AFL Cape York Boys and Girls Boarding facilities:
- Provide the very best of living and learning environments for our young people while they attend secondary education in Cairns.
- Each student is individually mentored by our professional team of Residential Supervisors and supported by our specialists including Education Manager, Wellbeing Manager and Student Support Coordinator
- We provide a fun and safe environment where young people are encouraged to learn, be healthy and have ambitions.
- Our students are supported across all areas of life. They can safely learn from their mistakes, make lifelong friends and build resilience.
AFL Cape York Ltd
45 - 61 Tills Street, Westcourt
PO Box 143, Manunda 4870
Phone: (07) 4054 5199
Fax: (07) 4054 5399